The Palomar ICON LUX 1540 (similar to Fraxel®) utilizes non-ablative, fractional laser resurfacing technology to stimulate your natural skin rejuvenating process. Hundreds of microscopic columns of laser energy penetrate into deep layers of your skin, causing micro-trauma, and stimulating collagen production. The natural rejuvenation process, smoothes the appearance of wrinkles, and acne scars, reduces pigment, lightens stretch marks, and improves skin texture. Because the laser treatment is non-ablative, there is less downtime. This laser features an advanced built-in cooling system that helps to make the treatment more comfortable, and protects the skin. The procedure takes approximately 30-40 minutes for a full facial treatment. Over the following weeks and months, the body repairs the deeper dermal tissues that have been affected by the Palomar LUX 1540 treatment, producing even longer beneficial changes. Two to three treatments are recommended to achieve lasting results.
What should you expect after treatment?
- Application of cool gel packs and moisturizing topical creams immediately following treatment can help alleviate post treatment itchiness and stinging. Swelling and sometimes blanching, is expected immediately post treatment and generally resolves within 24-48 hours, however it may last up to 3-5 days.
- Those being treated may experience significant redness, broken capillaries and bronzing in the treatment area for approximately 1-3 days after treatment. This may persist in a mild form for several weeks particularly in areas other than the face. Following a more aggressive treatment, it may be helpful to use some occlusive ointment on the skin after treatment during the healing process to help minimize trans-epidermal water loss which may result in significant desquamation or crusting.
- To help remove debris and bronzing of skin that can appear 1 to 4 days after treatment, soak treated areas for 5 – 15 minutes with gauze or wash cloth wet with water, then gently remove debris. Do not pick at or scrub the treated areas.
- Gentle cleansing and use of non-irritating cosmetics are permitted after treatment. It is suggested that retinoids be discontinued 1-2 weeks prior to the initial treatment and throughout the course of treatment. The use of retinoids during the treatment course may result in undesirable side effects and prolonged healing.
- Those prone to acne outbreaks should avoid heavy make up or moisturizers for 24 hours post treatment.
- As healing occurs, you should avoid injury and sun exposure for at least two weeks following treatments. It is highly recommended that you use a sunscreen with SPF 45 or higher containing UVA/UVB protection between treatments, along with a sun blocker such as zinc oxide or titanium dioxide.